Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Life out of doors begins.

May 4.




I, sailing in the spring ocean, 
getting in from my winter voyage,
begin to smell the land.

I draw near to the land; 

I begin to lie down and 
stretch myself on it. 

After my winter voyage 
I begin to smell the land.

H.D. Thoreau, Journal, May 4, 1859


After my winter voyage I begin to smell the land. See note to March 4, 1854 ("I begin to sniff the air and smell the ground.")

I, sailing in the spring ocean, getting in from my winter voyage, begin to smell the land. Such a scent perceived by a mariner would be very exciting. I not only smell the land breeze, but I perceive in it the fragrance of spring flowers. I draw near to the land; I begin to lie down and stretch my self on it. After my winter voyage I begin to smell the land.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.