Sunday, May 24, 2009

A walk in the woods, May 22, 2009

This evening Jane asks me to go for a walk in the woods. What a privilege. She is always finding things. "Because i have to look down all the time."

Several sets of coyote scat. Interesting plants. Snails.

Then, "Something was killed here." And, looking down, I see one black and white feather, then more.

"Pileated," she says, "look for the beak." She finds it. A partial skull, red feathers still attached, with powerful beak. She finds a tail feather and shows me its stiffness.


On we hike to the upper trail, bushwack over the ridge to the wetland near our southeast corner, then up the old road in the ravine and finally sit on the mossy overlook on top of the ridge. Blueberries flowering here.

Getting down is a little rough. Too steep near the upper pond. Getting dark, we backtrack and come out on the trail. I stop at the lower view to take a picture of the sunset.


At home after dark: Bats!

Zphx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.