Wednesday, February 13, 2013

In the falling and driving snow


February 13.

February 13, 2017
In the midst of the snow-storm on Sunday (to-day), I am called to window to see a dense flock of snowbirds on and under the pigweed in the garden. It was so in the other storm. I have not observed them in the garden at any other time this winter. They come with the storm, the falling and driving snow. 

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, February 13, 1853

I am called to window to see a dense flock of snowbirds on and under the pigweed in the garden . See January 2, 1856 ("I see, near the back road and railroad, a small flock of eight snow buntings feeding on the the seeds of the pigweed.”); January 19, 1855 (“At noon it is still a driving snow-storm, and a little flock of redpolls is busily picking the seeds of the pigweed in the garden.”);  February 9, 1855 ("I was so sure this storm would bring snowbirds into the yard that I went to the window at ten to look for them, and there they were. “); February 10, 1855 ("t is worth the while to let some pigweed grow in your garden, if only to attract these winter visitors.") See also A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau, Winter BirdsA Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau, the Snow Bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.