Saturday, February 23, 2013

Men of the woods.

February 23. 

I think myself in a wilder country, 
and a little nearer to primitive times,
when I read in old books 
which spell the word savages with an "l

   (salvages), 

like John Smith's 

"General Historie of Virginia," 
reminding me of 
the derivation of the word from

   sylva. 

There is some of the wild wood
and its bristling branches
still left in their language.
The savages they described
are really salvages,

Men of the woods.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal
February 23, 1853 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.