Sunday, November 24, 2013

Clear and wintry

November 24.

At noon, after a drizzling forenoon, the weather suddenly changes to clear and wintry, freezing cold with strong wind from a northerly quarter. It seems like the beginning of winter. 

Ice forms in my boat at 5 p. m., and what was mud in the street is fast becoming a rigid roughness.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, November 24, 1853

“Ice forms in my boat. See November 24, 1855 ("Ice has frozen pretty thick in the bottom of my boat.”); December 2, 1854 ("Got up my boat and housed it, ice having formed about it.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.