Thursday, November 26, 2015

A Book of the Seasons: November 26.




Got my boat up this
Thanksgiving day afternoon.
One end frozen in.

Got my boat up this
afternoon – Thanksgiving day.
One end frozen in.
November 26, 1857

Small unpainted house
 the south side of a long hill
a third the way up

Spring comes earlier
to that dooryard and summer
lingers longest there.
November 26, 1857


Faint creak of a limb
heard in this oak wood is the
note of a nuthatch.

I detect it much
nearer than I suspected,
its mate not far off.


 November 26, 2012



"I love to have the river
closed up for a season

and a pause put to my boating,
to be obliged to get my boat in.

I shall launch it again in the spring
with so much more pleasure.

I love best to have each thing
in its season only,

and enjoy doing without it
at all other times. 




Bottom of boat covered with ice. The ice next the shore bears me and my boat. November 26,1855

Got my boat up this afternoon. (It is Thanksgiving Day.) One end had frozen in. November 26, 1857

Got in boat on account of Reynolds’s new fence going up (earlier than usual). November 26, 1858


)
A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau
"A book, each page written in its own season,
out-of-doors, in its own locality.”
~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx © 2009-2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.