Friday, November 27, 2015

There is little now to be heard along the river

November 27

P. M. — By river to J. Farmer’s.

I told him I saw a mink. He said he would have given me $1.50 and perhaps something more for him. I hear that he gives $1.75, and sells them again at a profit. They are used to trim ladies’ coats with, among other things. 

A mink skin which he showed me was a darker brown than the one I saw last (he says they changed suddenly to darker about a fortnight since); and the tail was nearly all black.

There is little now to be heard along the river but the sedge rustling on the brink. There is a little ice along most of the shore throughout the day.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, November 27, 1855

I told him I saw a mink. See November 17, 1855 ("Mink seem to be more commonly seen now . . .”)

I hear that he gives $1.75, and sells them again at a profit. See March 15, 1855 ("He sells about a hundred mink skins in a year. . . .He says (I think) a mink’s skin is worth two dollars!”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.