Thursday, February 25, 2010

Skunks active

February 25.
For a day or two past I have seen in various places the small tracks apparently of skunks. 

They appear to come out commonly in the warmer weather in the latter part of February.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, February 25, 1860


They appear to come out commonly in the warmer weather in the latter part of February. See February 24, 1854 "The other day I thought that I smelled a fox very strongly, and went a little further and found that it was a skunk.”); February 24, 1857 ("I have seen the probings of skunks for a week or more..”): March 6, 1854 (“I see the skunk- cabbage started about the spring at head of Hubbard's Close, amid the green grass, and what looks like the first probing of the skunk.”); March 10, 1854 ("See a skunk in the Corner road, which I follow sixty rods or more.  . . . Its track is small, round, showing the nails, a little less than an inch in diameter, alternate five or six inches by two or two and a half, sometimes two feet together.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.