Friday, August 30, 2013

Why so many asters and goldenrods now?



August 30, 2013

The Solidago odora grows abundantly behind the Minott house in Lincoln. I collect a large bundle of it. 


Grapes are already ripe; I smell them first. 

As I go along from the Minott house to the Bidens Brook, I am quite bewildered by the beauty and variety of the asters, now in their prime here. 

Why so many asters and goldenrods now? The sun has shone on the earth, and the goldenrod is his fruit. The stars, too, have shone on it, and the asters are their fruit.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, August 30, 1853

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.