Sunday, April 13, 2014

It is from out the shadow of my toil that I look into the light.

April 12.

Surveying for Parks in Lincoln. 

April 12, 2019

A white frost this morning, after the clear moonlight. 

I observe that it is when I have been intently, and it may be laboriously, at work, and am somewhat listless or abandoned after it, reposing, that the muse visits me, and I see or hear beauty. It is from out the shadow of my toil that I look into the light.

The music of the spheres is but another name for the Vulcanic force. May not such a record as this be kept on one page of the Book of Life : "A man was melted to-day " 

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, April 12, 1854

The clear moonlight. See April 11, 1854 ("Evening on river. Fine full moon; river smooth.. . . This the first moon to walk by. ") See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, April Moonlight

It is from out the shadow of my toil that I look into the light. See April 8, 1854 ("A day or two surveying is equal to a journey"); April 12, 1858 ("The woods are all alive with pine warblers now. Their note is the music to which I survey."); September 2, 1851 ("It is always essential that we love to do what we are doing, do it with a heart."); November 18 1851 ("The man who is bent upon his work is frequently in the best attitude to observe what is irrelevant to his work."); April 30, 1856 (" Again, it is with the side of the ear that you hear . . . You would fain devote yourself to the melody, but you will hear more of it if you devote yourself to your work.”); May 12, 1857 ("Methinks I hear these sounds, have these reminiscences, only when well employed."); November 18, 1857 ("You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind. ") October 4, 1859 ("You have got to be in a different state from common.") ; Walden ([W]e are enabled to apprehend at all what is sublime and noble only by the perpetual instilling and drenching of the reality that surrounds us.”) and A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, To effect the quality of the day.

It is from out the
shadow of my toil that I
look into the light.

A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau
 "A book, each page written in its own season,
out-of-doors, in its own locality."
 ~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx ©  2009-2024
tinyurl.com/hdt-540412

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.