Sunday, February 15, 2015

The steady, soaking, rushing sound of the rain on the shingles is musical.

February 15.

Commenced a fine half snow half rain yesterday afternoon. 

All rain and harder in the night, and now quite a thaw, still raining finely, with great dark puddles amid the snow, and the cars detained by wet rails. 

Does not a thaw succeed that blue atmosphere observed on the 11th? — a thaw, as well as warmer nights and hoar frosts? 

All day a steady, warm, imprisoning rain carrying off the snow.  not unmusical on my roof. 

It is a rare time for the student and reader who cannot go abroad in the afternoon, provided he can keep awake, for we are wont to be drowsy as cats in such weather. Without, it is not walking but wading. 

It is so long since I have heard it that the steady, soaking, rushing sound of the rain on the shingles is musical. 

The fire needs no replenishing, and we save our fuel. It seems like a distant forerunner of spring. 

It is because I am allied to the elements that the sound of the rain is thus soothing to me. The sound soaks into my spirit, as the water into the earth, reminding me of the season when snow and ice will be no more, when the earth will be thawed and drink up the rain as fast as it falls.
 
H. D. Thoreau, Journal, February 15, 1855


The steady, soaking, rushing sound of the rain on the shingles is musical. See February 8, 1857 ("Youthful senses, not enervated by luxury, hear music in the wind and rain and running water . . . I hear it in the softened air of these warm February days which have broken the back of the winter.")

The fire needs no replenishing, and we save our fuel
. See February 18, 1854 ("I begin to think that my wood will last."); February 18, 1857 (“Thermometer at 1 P.M., 65. . . I sit all this day and evening without a fire, and some even have windows open.”); Compare February 3, 1856 (“The wind whistles round the northwest corner of the house and penetrates every crevice and consumes the wood in the stoves, — soon blows it all away. An armful goes but little way. Such a day makes a great hole in the wood-pile.”) See also Walden ("One attraction in coming to the woods to live was that I should have leisure and opportunity to see the spring come in . . . the days have grown sensibly longer and I see how I shall get through the winter without adding to my wood pile for large fires are no longer necessary I am on the alert for the first signs of spring.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.