Sunday, January 31, 2016

A Book of the Seasons: January 31.

The year is but a succession of days,
and I see that I could assign some office to each day
which, summed up, would be the history of the year.
Henry Thoreau, August 24, 1852


Clear mild winter day.
The sun's warmth now prevails and
is felt on the back.
January 31, 1854

Clear mild winter day,
the warmth of the sun prevails.
Snow softens and melts.

A  southerly wind
and now the warmth of the sun
is felt on the back.


But I do not melt; 
there is no thaw in me; 
I am bound out still.

A small pitch pine with
more than a hundred cones of
different ages.




It is a beautiful clear and mild winter day. January 31, 1854


A clear, cold, beautiful day  January 31, 1855 



The wind is more southerly, and now the warmth of the sun prevails, and is felt on the back. The snow softens and melts.  January 31, 1854

the sun is ready to do his part, and let the wind be right, and it will be warm and pleasant-like, at least now that the sun runs so high a course. January 31, 1854


We too have our thaws. They come to our January moods, when our ice cracks, and our sluices break loose. Thought that was frozen up under stern experience gushes forth in feeling and expression. There is a freshet which carries away dams of accumulated ice.  January 31, 1854

But I do not melt; there is no thaw in me; I am bound out still. January 31, 1854



Saw one faint tinge of red on red ice pond-hole, six inches over. January 31, 1858


*****
A Book of the Seasons, The Pitch Pine in Winter
*****

 

A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau
"A book, each page written in its own season,
out-of-doors, in its own locality.”
~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx © 2009-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.