Wednesday, February 1, 2017

I see a large flock of snow buntings on the railroad causeway.


February 1

3 P.M. — Down railroad. 


Thermometer at 42°. Warm as it is, I see a large flock of snow buntings on the railroad causeway. Their wings are white above next the body, but black or dark beyond and on the back. This produces that regular black and white effect when they fly past you.

A laborer on the railroad tells me it is Candlemas Day (February 2d) to-morrow and the winter half out. "Half your wood and half your hay," etc., etc.; and, as that day is, so will be the rest of the winter.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, February 1, 1857

That regular black and white effect when they fly past you. See January 21,1857 (" . . .As they flew past me they presented a pretty appearance, somewhat like broad bars of white alternating with bars of black.") Also A Book of Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, the Snow Bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.