Monday, September 10, 2018

A musquash-house.

September 10.

Tower-mustard in bloom again. A musquash-house begun.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, September 10, 1858

A musquash-house begun. See  September 11, 1855 ("Loudly the mole cricket creaks by mid-afternoon. Muskrat-houses begun."); September 20.. September 20, 1855 (" Open a new and pretty sizable muskrat-house with no hollow yet made in it"); September 26, 1857 (" I see musquash-houses"); October 15, 1851 ("The muskrat-houses appear now for the most part to be finished. "); October 16, 1859 ("I see the new musquash-houses erected, conspicuous on the now nearly leafless shores. To me this is an important and suggestive sight . . . I remember this phenomenon annually for thirty years. A more constant phenomenon here than the new haystacks in the yard, for they were erected here probably before man dwelt here and may still be erected here when man has departed. For thirty years I have annually observed, about this time or earlier, the freshly erected winter lodges of the musquash along the riverside . . . So surely as the sun appears to be in Libra or Scorpio, I see the conical winter lodges of the musquash") See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, the Musquash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.