Tuesday, November 20, 2018

I am a rock.

I am a body
connected to all bodies
awake in the world.
 ~Zphx

If I feel no softening toward the rocks, what do they signify? January 23, 1858



I see a lichen 
on a rock in a meadow, 
a perfect circle. 


I see my shadow 
 as a second person who 
sits down on this rock. 

Lichen-covered rock 
naked in the moonlight and 
warm as in summer. 


Indian summer day. 
Chickadees take heart and sing 
above these warm rocks. 


I sit on this rock 
surprised one more time by the 
beauty of the world. 
May 22, 1854 
October 7, 1857 

I pause in the sun 
as I climb the Cliff and sit 
dreaming on a rock. 
January 9, 1853 

Beyond the brook 
I sit awhile on a rock 
below the old trough. 


I sit on a rock 
wrestling with the melody 
that possesses me. 


On this rock notice 
the seeds of berries in the 
droppings of some bird. 
August 2, 1854 


A cold and strong wind, 
yet very warm in the sun, 
a fly on this rock. 
March 4, 1855 

I sit on a rock 
and wait for my pail to fill. 
I hear the sap drop. 
April 9, 1856 


These rocks and trees are 
personalities to me. 
I reverence the stones. 


I see Wachusett 
from this rounded rock covered 
with fresh pine-needles. 
October 19, 1856 


The stones are happy 
Concord River is happy, 
I am happy too. 


I am that rock by
the pond-side affected by
each natural sound. 


A brother poet, 
one with the rocks and with me, 
whose muse inspires mine. 
May 12, 1857 


Perhaps I could write 
meditations under a 
rock in a shower. 


Sitting on this rock, 
we hear the first wood frog’s croak 
and begin to dream. 


A blueberry leafs 
on a dry rock in the woods 
in a sunny place. 
April 25, 1859 


We sit on the rock 
on Pine Hill overlooking 
Walden's blue water. 
October 14, 1859



If I were to discover
that a certain kind of stone
by the pond-shore was affected,
say partially disintegrated,
by a particular natural sound,
as of a bird or insect,
I see that one
could not be completely described
without describing the other.

I am that rock by the pond-side.
February 20, 1857


A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau
"A book, each page written in its own season,
out-of-doors, in its own locality."
~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx © 2009-2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.