Saturday, December 22, 2018

The pond is no more frozen than on the 20th.

December 22. 

P. M. — To Walden. 

December 22. 2018

I see in the cut near the shanty-site quite a flock of F. hyemalis and goldfinches together, on the snow and weeds and ground. Hear the well-known mew and watery twitter of the last and the drier chilt chilt of the former. These burning yellow birds with a little black and white on their coat-flaps look warm above the snow. There may be thirty goldfinches, very brisk and pretty tame. They hang head downwards on the weeds. I hear of their coming to pick sunflower seeds in Melvin’s garden these days.

The pond is no more frozen than on the 20th. I see where a rabbit has hopped across it in the slosh last night, making a track larger than a man’s ordinarily is.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, December 22, 1858

Quite a flock of F. hyemalis and goldfinches together, on the snow and weeds and ground.
See December 28, 1856 ("Am surprised to see the F. hyemalis here."); February 16, 1854  ("I have not seen F . hyemalis since last fall."); January 5, 1860 ("I see where a flock of goldfinches in the morning had settled on a hemlock's top, by the snow strewn with scales, literally blackened or darkened with them for a rod."); March 24, 1859 ("I see a flock of goldfinches, first of spring,")  

No more frozen than on the 20th. See note to December 20, 1858 ("Walden is frozen over, except two small spots, less than half an acre in all, in middle.”) and December 22, 1853 ("Walden skimmed over in the widest part, but some acres still open”).

I see where a rabbit has hopped across it in the slosh. See December 22, 1853 (“Last night's sprinkling of snow . . . whitens the ice and already I see the tracks of rabbits on it.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.