Saturday, February 2, 2019

Cutting down a large red oak


February 2.

I see Peter Hutchinson cutting down a large red oak on A. Heywood’s hillside, west of the former’s house. 

He points out to me what he calls the “gray oak” there, with “a thicker bar” than the red. It is the scarlet oak.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, February 2, 1859

Cutting down a large red oak on . February 10, 1854 (“The sturdy white oak near the Derby railroad bridge has been cut down. It measures five feet and three inches over the stump, at eighteen inches from the ground.”); December 3, 1855 ("I see one or two more large oaks in E. Hubbard’s wood lying high on stumps, waiting for snow to be removed. I miss them as surely and with the same feeling that I do the old inhabitants out of the village street.")

It is the scarlet oak. See January 19, 1859 {"Our largest scarlet oak (by the Hollow), some three feet diameter at three feet from ground,")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.