Monday, December 2, 2019

I wear only one coat.

December 2.

Nov. 30, Dec. 1 and 2 were remarkably warm and springlike days, — a moist warmth. 

The crowing of cocks and other sounds remind you of spring, such is the state of the air. 

I wear only one coat.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal,  December 2, 1859

Rmarkably warm and springlike days.  See December 1, 1852 (“The year looks back toward summer, and a summer smile is reflected in her face”)

Sounds remind you of spring, such is the state of the air. See December 2, 1852 ("The distant sounds of cars, cocks, hounds, etc.. . . remind me of spring. There is a certain resonance and elasticity in the air that makes the least sound melodious as in spring.")

I wear only one coat. See November 28, 1850 ("Within a day or two the walker finds gloves to be comfortable, and begins to think of an outside coat and of boots");  December 6, 1859 ("hat is an era, when, in the beginning of the winter, you change from the shoes of summer to the boots of winter.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.