Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Obstacles of the Heart





She who was
as the morning light to me
is now neither the morning star
nor the evening star.

We meet but to find
each other further asunder
and the oftener we meet
the more rapid our divergence.

So a star of the first magnitude
pales in the heavens –
not from any fault in the observer's eye
nor from any fault in itself 

but because its progress
in its own system
has put a greater
distance between.

The obstacles of the heart 
are like granite blocks
one alone cannot move.




The obstacles which the heart meets with are like granite blocks which one alone cannot move. She who was as the morning light to me is now neither the morning star nor the evening star. We meet but to find each other further asunder, and the oftener we meet the more rapid our divergence. So a star of the first magnitude pales in the heavens, not from any fault in the observer's eye nor from any fault in itself, perchance, but because its progress in its own system has put a greater distance between.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, October 27, 1851 



See also:


December 15, 1841 ("I know of no redeeming qualities in me but a sincere love for some things, and when I am reproved I have to fall back on to this ground . . . My love is invulnerable. Meet me on that ground, and you will find me strong.")

A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, Farewell my friend

A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, I love you like I love the sky

A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau
"A book, each page written in its own season,
out-of-doors, in its own locality.”
~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx © 2009-2022

https://tinyurl.com/HDTheart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.