Saturday, October 16, 2021

The new moon seen by day.

 


October 16.


The new moon, seen by day, reminds me of a poet's cheese. 

Surveying for Loring to-day. Saw the Indian Ditch, so called. 

A plant newly leaving out, a shrub; looks somewhat like shad blossom. 

To-night the spearers are out again.


H. D. Thoreau, Journal, October 16, 1851

The new moon, seen by day. See April 30, 1852 ("Then when I turned, I saw in the east, just over the woods, the modest, pale, cloud-like moon, two thirds full, looking spirit-like on these daylight scenes. Such a sight excites me. The earth is worthy to inhabit.")

Saw the Indian Ditch, so called. See September 6, 1857 ("We go along under the hill and woods north of railroad, west of Lords land, about to the west of the swamp and to the Indian ditch.")

A plant newly leaving out, a shrub; looks somewhat like shad blossom. See November 1, 1853 ("I notice the shad-bush conspicuously leafing out. Those long, narrow, pointed buds, prepared for next spring, have anticipated their time. I noticed some thing similar when surveying the Hunt wood-lot last winter"); November 4, 1854 ("The shad-bush buds have expanded into small leaflets already."); October 13, 1859 ("The shad-bush is leafing again by the sunny swamp-side. It is like a youthful or poetic thought in old age. Several times I have been cheered by this sight when surveying in former years. . . . It is a foretaste of spring. In my latter years, let me have some shad-bush thoughts. ")

To-night the spearers are out again. See November 15, 1855 ("I see a spearer’s light to-night")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.