Monday, January 23, 2017

The coldest day.


January 23. 












The coldest day that I remember recording, clear and bright, but very high wind, blowing the snow. 

Ink froze. 

Had to break the ice in my pail with a hammer.

Thermometer at 6.45 a.m., -18°; at 10.30, -14° (Smith's, -20°; Wilds', -7°, the last being in a more sheltered place); at 12.45, -9°; at 4 p.m., -5 1/2°; at 7.30 p. m., -8°. 

I may safely say that -5° has been the highest temperature to-day by our thermometer. 

Walking this afternoon, I notice that the face inclines to stiffen, and the hands and feet get cold soon. On first coming out in very cold weather, I find that I breathe fast, though without walking faster or exerting myself any more than usual.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, January 23, 1857


I may safely say that -5° has been the highest temperature to-day. See January 9, 1856 ("Probably it has been below zero for the greater part of the day."); February 6, 1855 ("They say it did not rise above  -6° to-day.")

I notice that the face inclines to stiffen. See February 7, 1857("Several men I have talked with froze their ears a fortnight ago yesterday, the cold Friday; one who had never frozen his ears before.")

The winter of 1856-57 was one of the severest winters ever known in New England, USA (Perley 2001). It began much earlier than usual, and continued far into the spring. There were 32 snow storms in total, three more than the average number for the preceding period, and the snow covered the landscape to a depth of six feet and two inches This was one of the coldest winters ever known in USA . (1856-1857: A severe winter in New England)

During the coldest month of the 19th century, January, 1857, the 23rd ranks as the coldest day. The temperature in Burlington was minus 30 to start the morning, and reached a high of minus 17. (Weather Journal by Mark Breen)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.