Monday, March 20, 2023

A Book of the Seasons, Signs of the Spring: the gobbling of turkeys




No mortal is alert enough to be present at the first dawn of the spring. 
Henry Thoreau, March 17, 1857

For two or three days 
I have heard the first spring sound –
 gobbling of turkeys.
March 20, 1856

March 20, 2016

January 30. There are certain sounds invariably heard in warm and thawing days in winter, such as the crowing of cocks, the cawing of crows, and sometimes the gobbling of turkeys. January 30, 1860

February 23. I have seen signs of the spring. February 23, 1857

March 2. We listen to the February cock-crowing and turkey-gobbling as to a first course, or prelude. March 2, 1859

March 19. I hear turkeys gobble. This too, I suppose, is a spring sound. March 19, 1858

March 20. For two or three days I have heard the gobbling of turkeys, the first spring sound, after the chickadees and hens, that I think of. March 20, 1856

March 22.  The phenomena of an average March . . . About twenty-nine migratory birds arrive (including hawks and crows), and two or three more utter their spring notes and sounds, as nuthatch and chickadee, turkeys, and woodpecker tapping. March 22, 1860


March 23. I spend a considerable portion of my time observing the habits of the wild animals, my brute neighbors. By their various movements and migrations they fetch the year about to me . . . But when I consider that the nobler animals have been exterminated here, — the cougar, panther, lynx, wolverene, wolf, bear, moose, deer, the beaver, the turkey, etc., etc., — I cannot but feel as if I lived in a tamed, and, as it were, emasculated country. March 23, 1856 

*****

See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau:I Have Seen Signs of the Spring
The crowing of cocks, the cawing of crows
My greatcoat on my arm
A change in the air.

A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau, Signs of the Spring: 
A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau
 "A book, each page written in its own season, 
out-of-doors, in its own locality."
 ~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx ©  2009-2023

https://tinyurl.com/HDTurkey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.