Saturday, March 4, 2023

A Book of the Seasons, Signs of the Spring: Red Maple Sap Flows



No mortal is alert enough to be present at the first dawn of the spring. 
Henry Thoreau, March 17, 1857

I have seen signs of the spring. 
I have seen a frog swiftly sinking in a pool, 
or where he dimpled the surface as he leapt in. 
I have seen the brilliant spotted tortoises stirring at the bottom of ditches.  
I have seen the clear sap 
trickling from the red maple.


February 21.  Am surprised to see this afternoon a boy collecting red maple sap from some trees behind George Hubbard's. It runs freely. The earliest sap I made to flow last year was March 14th . . .The river for some days has been open and its sap visibly flowing, like the maple.  February 21, 1857 

February 23.   I have seen signs of the spring . . . I have seen the clear sap trickling from the red maple.  February 23, 1857

March 2 The red maple sap flows freely, and probably has for several days. March 2, 1860 

March 3.  The red maple sap, which I first noticed the 21st of February, is now frozen up in the auger-holes. March 3, 1857

March 4.  I see where a maple has been wounded the sap is flowing out. Now, then, is the time to make sugar.  March 4, 1852

March 5.  As I sit under the red maples at white bridge, I suddenly see the myriad black dots of their expanded buds against the sky. Their sap is flowing.   March 5, 1852

March 7.   To-day, as also three or four days ago, I saw a clear drop of maple sap on a broken red maple twig, which tasted very sweet.   March 7, 1855 

March 14.  Just above Pinxter Swamp, one red maple limb was moistened by sap trickling along the bark. Tapping this, I was surprised to find it flow freely.   March 14, 1856

March 15. Put a spout in the red maple of yesterday, and hang a pail beneath to catch the sap. March 15, 1856 

March 16. Going home, slip on the ice, throwing the pail over my head to save myself, and spill all but a pint. So it is lost on the ice of the river. When the river breaks up, it will go down the Concord into the Merrimack, and down the Merrimack into the sea. March 16, 1856

March 20Cutting a maple for a bridge over Lily Brook, I was rejoiced to see the sap falling in large, clear drops from the wound. March 20,1853

March 21I see red maple sap oozing out and wetting the young trees where there is no obvious wound. March 21, 1855

March 21.  It is worth the while to know that there is all this sugar in our woods . . . I left home at ten and got back before twelve with two and three quarters pints of sap, in addition to the one and three quarters I found collected . . . One maple, standing immediately north of a thick white pine, scarcely flowed at all, while a smaller, farther in the wood, ran pretty well. The south side of a tree bleeds first in spring. March 21, 1856

March 22.  The phenomena of an average March . . . Vegetation fairly begins, – conferva and mosses, grass and carex, etc., — and gradually many early herbaceous plants start, and noticed radical leaves; Stellaria media and shepherd's-purse bloom; maple and buttonwood sap (6th) flow; spiræas start, cladonias flush, and bæomyces handsome; willow catkins become silvery, aspens downy; osiers, etc., look bright, white maple and elm buds expand and open, oak woods thin- leaved; alder and hazel catkins become relaxed and elongated. March 22, 1860

March  24  It is too cold to think of those signs of spring which I find recorded under this date last year. The earliest signs of spring in vegetation noticed thus far are the maple sap, the willow catkins, grass on south banks, and perhaps cowslip in sheltered places. Alder catkins loosened, and also white maple buds loosened.   March 24, 1855

See also A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau:

and A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, Signs of the Spring:

A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau
 "A book, each page written in its own season, 
out-of-doors, in its own locality."
 ~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx ©  2009-2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.